Below are two alternative ways of creating a Microsoft Word document/template with different margins on the first page.
Here’s a super easy way.
This method is ideal for one off documents.
- Insert a Section Break (Next Page) from Page Layout > Breaks
- Click on the page you want to expand/narrow the margins.
- Click on Custom Margins from Page Layout > Margins
- In the Page Setup window put in the custom margin size you want then click OK.
Here’s a super hard way.
This method inserts a new page with an adjusted margin when the document is first opened, however requires your document to be a macro enabled workbook.
It also checks if the second page has been deleted if so it readjusts the margin of the first page.
- Setup your first page how you want it with the correct margins.
- Create a macro with the below code, sections of code to pay attention to are commented with ‘CHANGE THIS’:
Sub Document_Open() If ActiveDocument.Sections.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub Selection.EndKey Unit:=wdStory ActiveDocument.Range(Start:=Selection.Start, End:=Selection.Start). _ InsertBreak Type:=wdSectionBreakNextPage Selection.Start = Selection.Start + 1 With ActiveDocument.Range(Start:=Selection.Start, End:=ActiveDocument. _ Content.End).PageSetup .LeftMargin = CentimetersToPoints(2.54) 'CHANGE THIS it's margin of new pages! .SectionStart = wdSectionNewPage End With Application.OnTime When:=Now + TimeValue("00:00:01"), _ Name:="CheckPages" End Sub Sub CheckPages() Application.OnTime When:=Now + TimeValue("00:00:01"), _ Name:="CheckPages" If ActiveDocument.Sections.Count = 1 Then ActiveDocument.PageSetup.LeftMargin = CentimetersToPoints(5.54) 'CHANGE THIS it's margin of the first page! End If End Sub
- Save your document.